Tuesday 11 February 2014

Goosander roost

Today I also managed to do some birdwatching.  In the late afternoon I went at Teharje lake (the eastern one), near Celje, to see Goosanders at roost. When I came there had already been around 40 birds and were still flying in. At the end the total number was 66 ind. which is exactly the same as a month ago (IWC). This location is most probably the second largest roosting place for this species in Slovenia and was discovered last year. It is nice to know their number has been increasing for the past few years (also due to new breeding sites in Slovenia) so I will keep eye on them in the future, too!
Other waterfowl were mainly Mallards (around 200 ind.), 3 Tufted Ducks, 1 Wigeon, 4 Coots and a single Little Grebe.



After 10 long days of heavy sleet and snowfall having damaged almost half of all forests in the country I saw some good birds in the wood behind my house. Both Gold- and Firecrests were singing, a flock of Siskins, Raven, calling Green Woodpecker, a female Sparrowhawk, some Buzzards, Short-toed Treecreeper, etc. I saw my first 8 Starlings this year in a mixed flock of 68 Fieldfares and heard the first singing Song Trush. A male Long-eared Owl is also calling every night. So, spring is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment